Certified Moisture Testing is one of our newest partners, and they are ready to share a LOT of great, very necessary, information regarding mold in your home. If you have a child who suffers from allergies, asthma, or even what seems to be a “chronic cold,” moisture and/or mold may be the culprit. It can lurk in your house, daycare, office building. Stay tuned to this great quarterly series!
It started with a damp basement carpet. No big deal, right? It was spring, the ground was thawing, and we had moved into a really old, recently renovated home that winter. We knew that this stuff can happen – we both grew up in older homes and the spring almost always meant a little water in the basement. But then that damp carpet turned into 2 inches of water, and we knew that there was no way this was normal. After they ripped up the carpet, it was discovered that the inside of the walls were wet. There were sections of the walls that had mold 2 inches thick. They had to dig up the basement floor down to the dirt to remove everything. It was a month-long process, and I’m confident that my son’s asthma was made worse by this.
Our living situation was unique, so the house came “as-is,” and I can’t stress enough the importance of having your home inspected for mold. It can strike at any time – even if it passed a test when you first bought.
Enter: Certified Moisture Testing.
*Photo was taken pre-mold discovery
Everyone knows to order a general home inspection before committing to buy a home to identify potential defects. What most people don’t know is the “typical home inspection” does not cover those hidden conditions that could make you and your children sick. While lead pipes, paint and radon gas pose legitimate long-term health concerns, mold from moisture infiltration can create more immediate long-term health issues. Unfortunately, the odds of unhealthy mold levels are much higher than ever, due to today’s tighter built homes. That is why your first call should be to a professional moisture and mold inspector after your offer is accepted.
Each year, 4.5 million cases of asthma or allergies are diagnosed that can be attributed to mold or fungal growth. Children, and those with immune system disorders are most susceptible, but even healthy adults can become sensitized. Mold allergy symptoms can include sneezing, wheezing, coughing, water and itchy eyes, runny nose, headaches, shortness of breath, and throat irritation just to name a few.
The Consumer Safety Product Commission (CPSC) reports that up to half of all structures have damp conditions that can harbor invisible, but dangerous biological pollutants such as mold. Without adequate ventilation, mold spores and other pollutants are able to accumulate. Even the smallest areas of dampness can lead to serious health risks.
While mold is everywhere, it’s the mold growing inside wall cavities that should be the most worrisome because it can’t be seen, thus it will get worse over time. Leaky windows, poorly vented attics, basements with high humidity, inadequate roof flashings, failed claddings or plain old condensation can cause in-wall moisture and mold.
Minnesota-based Certified Moisture Testing is dedicated to doing one thing: Finding moisture sources, which lead to mold growth. Normally, we drill small holes, and use electronic probes to take quantitative moisture measurements. However, in cases where sellers will not allow intrusive probing until the problem is presented, we offer an affordable, non-intrusive inspection designed for fast paced real estate transactions. These non-intrusive inspections are conducted by one of our Moisture Intrusion Specialists. Not only will we document all suspected mold areas, we will also take an air sample and have the results to you within 48 hours.
If you place an offer on a home, or are curious about your current home’s safety, contact Certified Moisture Testing today. We are here to make sure your home is healthy.