Mom. Mom! Mom!! Mom!!! MOM!!! Sometimes I feel like my kids scream “Mom” 1,000,000 times a day. And of course it is always when we are busy with something such as answering a phone call, making supper, or even going to the bathroom (because god forbid we use the bathroom in silence right?). Most of the time I’m happy to tend to their needs, but sometimes I just need a break!
Luckily I have a great husband that can clearly see when my head starts spinning out of control and will encourage me to go and take a break. Whether it is five minutes, an hour, or even a few hours, we all deserve a break every now and then! As mom’s, we often put ourselves last. Between laundry, grocery shopping, car pools, making meals, keeping the house clean, etc., it leaves very little time to ourselves. When I do get that time away, I definitely try to make that time worth it and do something that I enjoy.
So I have two glorious hours all to myself, now what? What should I go do? Should I stay home and clean the house? No! Here are some of my favorite ways to unwind and take a mommy break!
- Shopping. Need I say more??
- Go for a walk, run, or bike ride. In the Twin Cities we have so many AMAZING walking and biking trails. Some of my favorite trails include Lake Harriet or Calhoun, Silver Lake Park, Stone Arch Bridge area, Snail Lake Park, and Minnehaha area. There is something about getting outside and going for a nice long walk to clear my head that is so very refreshing to me.
- Coffee Shop. Grab your computer or tablet and hit up a coffee shop for some downtime. You can enjoy a yummy drink and have some free time to catch up on your internet browsing with no one yelling for you in the background. My new favorite? Spyhouse in Minneapolis. Delicious drinks, rustic eye candy, and fun atmosphere!
- Spa day. Take some time to pamper yourself. Get a pedicure, or manicure, or massage…. or go all out and get all three!
- Call up your best friend and make it a girl’s night with dinner and drinks.
- Have your husband take the kids out of the house and enjoy the peace and quiet by taking a nap. I know what you are thinking. Take a nap when there is so much cleaning to do? Trust me, take a nap. You’re refreshed self will thank me later for this one!
- Find a perfect little spot to curl up with a glass of wine and read a book.
- Take a nice hot bubble bath.
- Watch an episode (or 2 or 3) of your favorite TV show. Real Housewives or Fixer Upper marathon? Yes please!
- Schedule a hair appointment. I feel like a new woman when I walk out of the salon. The salon I go to does a free scalp massage during shampoo for all their customers. That scalp massage is 15 minutes of pure heaven for this mommy!
- Join a gym or find a new fitness DVD that you enjoy. Just 20-30 minutes of exercise can instantly change my day for the better if I am having a bad day or need to clear my head.
- Skype or FaceTime with a friend that you haven’t seen in a while.
- Get crafty. Choose one of those 100s of ideas you pinned on Pinterest and conquer it!
- Bake or cook something new.
- Find a hobby to go do such as painting, kayaking, scrapbooking, photography, etc.